When we’re talking about a website the term SEO comes up a lot… Search Engine Optimization. You know what it stands for and you know that you need it, but how do you GET it? What really goes into optimizing your website for organic search? The answer is simple, and not so simple at the same time. There are many factors that impact your SEO; site structure, site history, meta data, and content, just to name a few.
Some of these things are tricky and can be harder to change, but some of them are more manageable. Your content is manageable. In the end, search engines want the same thing that you want; engaged readers. How do you get engaged readers? Quality content.
When it’s time to write new content for your website, it can seem like a daunting task. But whether it’s a blog post, page copy, or even product descriptions there are some things to keep in mind that can help boost your search engine rankings. Google wants to make sure it is serving up the best, most relevant sites for every search. So, let’s look at some ways to make your content the best and most relevant:
- Fresh content – Search engines love to see new, updated information on your site. Readers don’t want to waste their time on last month’s news; neither does Google.
- Targeted pages – Searchers know exactly what they are looking for. Make sure you give it to them. If someone searches for “chocolate chip cookie recipes,” they don’t want recipes for bran muffins.
- A clear message – Google will test your copy for quality and overall user experience. Make sure your content is clear, easy to read and properly written.
- Avoid duplicate content – Each page on your site should have a unique topic. If you have three pages with the exact same subject the search engines will get confused and split the results between your pages. You would essentially be competing against yourself for the higher rank on that topic.
- Linking – You will have similar pages. Link them together to create a page flow to guide your readers through your site.
Search engines want the same thing that you want; engaged readers. Although the formula for page rank is constantly changing, knowing the key factors that impact search can help give your readers a better experience on your website, and improve your search ranking at the same time.
We know that writing isn’t for everyone. It can take a lot of work, and there is a delicate balance when it comes to consistently creating engaging content. Many companies hire writers (either in-house or outsourced) to do just that. They recognize that there is no short cut to writing good content, and that it is a valuable component for today’s marketing. A good content writer will think through what your readers really want to hear from you, and develop the content accordingly because when you truly speak to your readers, the search engines will reward you.